Customer: Waiter, there’s a hair in my soup!
Waiter: Shhhh.. not so loud or everyone’s gonna want rabbit stew!
Harper’s 10+ Tips for a happier Hair Fair (fight the lag!):
1. Remove all scripts (including AOs). (Result: reduces sim lag.)
2. Fly between tents so no one notices your waddle. (No one’s looking at you anyway.) (Result: reduces personal embarrassment and paranoia and gets you around faster.)
3. Wear system clothes only. (No you don’t have to be naked or looking like a freak.) (Result: reduces arc and ergo, client side lag.)
4. Barefoot is in these days–no shoes or prim feet ;) (Result: reduces arc/client side lag.)
5. Wear a skin with a hairbase and skip prim hair. (You won’t look bald.) (Result: reduces arc/client side lag.)
6. Get a bandanna and look stylin and Hair Fair fashionable. (Result: reduces arc/client side lag, makes you look fashionable, AND helps Wigs for Kids.)
7. Do not try on demos AT Hair Fair. Grab everything that intrigues you and take it home for trying on. You’ll just be frustrated standing around trying them on and waiting for them to rez. Besides, someone else is trying to get into the sim! Better yet, join the Hair Fair DEMO group and get all the demos from notices and try them on before you even go. (Result: reduces client side lag, potentially sim lag, and your frustration.)
8. Realize that they built the Hair Fair sims in tents (you’ll see what I mean when you get there) to decrease your exposure to new textures in your distant view. Walk through walls to get around–most are phantom–if you get lost or frustrated. (Result: reduces client-side lag.)
9. WAIT a few days and go later and enjoy leisurely, less-lag shopping. You’re not gonna die because you aren’t wearing that brand new hair from Maddox DuPont just yet. Believe me. (It’s open from September 4-19!) (Result: reduces sim lag.)
10. Do not lecture others on their arc, scripts, demoing habits, etc. Mind your own business and don’t be a drama queen. Besides, running that arc indicator thing increases YOUR personal lag. (Result: reduces your personal tension and adds to your and other’s personal shopping pleasure time.)
11. Read my blog starting Tuesday, August 7, when I will start previewing my favorite pieces. (Result: reduces personal shopping frustration and makes you look super fly!)
Who said you can’t find decent hair in SL? The Hair Fair for 2010, which opens today, will prove anyone wrong. For once virtual hair will do more than just cover our virtual heads–it will support the creation of hair pieces for real children. All donations from the Hair Fair will be given to Wigs for Kids, a non-profit organization that provides wigs for children who have lost hair due to illness.
As part of the Hair Fair, the organizers asked creators and bloggers to make bandannas which can be worn throughout the fair to decrease arc. Proceeds from the sales of these bandannas will benefit Wigs for Kids. I have created two bandannas to be sold at the fair in the hopes that my small effort will help one child feel more comfortable after going through probably already traumatic illness. Please buy one! :D
The textures are completely mine (though I am hopeless with graphics programs); the sculpty was made by Damien Fate. It includes my personal stamp of approval ;)
Please feel moved to donate a small amount more by purchasing hair at this year’s Hair Fair from sponsored vendors or by donating directly. The creators participating have donated a considerable amount of this time for this cause and while they want you to purchase their creations, they also want you to donate generously as they have.
Bandannas: Hair Bandana–Harper Beresford–Men’s and Hair Bandana–Harper Beresford–Women’s, available exclusively at the Hair Fair in various locations on each of the four sims. TP here to get started: Hair Fair
Skins: LAQ ~ Julie – 02 [Peach] Glow skin (red hairbase) by Mallory Cowen for Laqroki and 04b Dark-Tan Skin -Tyson-/goatee+base+nobodyhair *REDGRAVE* by Emilia Redgrave for Redgrave
Earrings: *Fyreworks* Diana Earrings in Seagreen by Harper Beresford for *Fyreworks*
P.S. Thank you again, Chatty, for conversion of the photos. You saved my bacon (mmm… bacon) once again!